Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Psyching Myself Out Over Speedwork

       Yesterday I decided that today HAD to be a speed work day.  I was actually gonna do it yesterday but then I did a 20 min bodyrock workout that was all sumo squats, KB swings, and one leg squats and could barely hobble through 2 miles after.  So I knew my legs where going to be a little sore today, but I should be able to handle some intervals, plus it would make me feel that much faster when running on fresh legs in a race.  June 5th is fast approaching and I need to get some good workouts in if I want to even think about sub-20.  


      My plan was 3x1600's and of course I started psyching myself out about it the moment I made the decision.

      I freak out about not being able to hit the times I want, my goal was 6:20 pace for each mile.  If I can't hit 6:20 pace for 1 mile how can I expect to run 6:26 pace for a full 5k? Total mind trip.


      I think especially because I'm in unknown territory (I've run 21 min 5ks [a few sub 21] in H.S.& college, but never Sub 20)  I am questioning whether it is even possible for me to do this.  What if a 19 min 5k is just not in me? Then again I have run 2 miles at 6 min pace, so logic would say that yes I can hold 6:27 pace for one more mile.  In fact I just put it into the Macmillan Calc and it spit out a 19:35 5k, now that 12 min- 2 mile was back in the day, but I did do it once upon a time.  And I dreaded speed workouts back then too.


      This morning I was mildly sore but definitely able to handle some fast running, albeit still having some major anxiety about it.

    I finally got out there and decided to just get it done.

    The result was half fail, half quality speed work.


    Warmed up with an easy 8:10 mile


    I started the first mile repeat; saw my Garmin start at 6:20 pace and drop to 5:58 nearing the half mile.

    And I changed the game plan.


    800's


    I stopped at the half mile: 2:59 


    Jog/walked the remaining .35 around to get to my start point (my driveway)


    #2 This time, knowing it was going to be an 800, I started out too fast.  Started at 5:58 pace ended at 6:06 pace: 3:03


       And then things got a little shaky.  I was really feeling the first 2 reps, but knew 2- 800's didn't make for much of a interval workout.  I started another one and then quit .15 in.  Tried to recollect myself, gave myself a little more rest and decided to try the next 800 in a different direction, maybe a change of scenery would help? No :(   Cut it short at .20

    Was I really gonna call it a day at 2?


    Determined to gut one more out (and I seriously mean gut, why is my stomach the thing that holds me back the most, like it feels ready to burst)  I lined up next to my driveway and was off.

    #3 3:10


      And I'm spent, it would have been nice to get one more in, 4x 800's sounds a lot nicer than 3X800's, but I gave my all and hit some decent times.


    I didn't look at the Macmillan Calc times before my workout, but looking at it now I was in the range for 800 repeat times if aiming for a 19:50 ish 5k.

    I'm thinking about jumping in a 5k this Sunday and if I do my goal is anything below 21 :)

    I'm also gonna jump into What I Ate Wednesday:

    With the beach starting in just over 2 weeks this salad is on the lunch menu everyday :)

    It is so awesome that I'm 100% okay with that.

    Hiding under the chicken are some green olives and cucs and those red peppers are sweet peppers from a jar, love them!

    And of course some avocado.

    But the best part of this salad may be the dressing, it is only 10 calories and I could drink it (actually I DO drink what is left at the bottom of the bowl) :D 

    Dressing= Rice Vinegar and Fresh Squeezed Lemon

    Linking up here:


    Come join the fun and check out some amazing food!

Post Title

Psyching Myself Out Over Speedwork


Post URL

http://emohairstylesforgirls2011.blogspot.com/2011/05/psyching-myself-out-over-speedwork.html


Visit Emo Hair Styles For Girls for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive