Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Going Above and Beyond

      February feels like it's flying by and I've been thinking about how much progress I've made towards my goals for the month.  Some goals I'm right on point. . . others NotSoMuch.

       I also realized, I've set some pretty lofty goals for myself.  Ones that I believe are attainable, but they will take an effort that goes above and beyond.

      For Example, 2 of my Goals for the month:

              * Beating my 3k PR of 11:13 (set in HS) on Feb. 24th
           * 30 Good Form Push-ups


    To me, achieving these two goals will  mean that I am the fastest and strongest  I've ever been.


       Up until my recent rekindling with running and racing, I thought my HS times would stay the fastest I'd ever run.  I'm  finally feeling like those PRs could soon be history and I will no longer have to consider my race times as HS/ College PRs and Post HS/College PRs.

       Push-ups have ALWAYS been a weakness (along with all other arm related exercises).  I was lucky if I could do 5, then two years ago I found the 100 Push-Up program and I've been on again/ off again with it since.  In this time I've improved greatly, but I've yet to perform over 25 solid Push-ups.  So can I get to 30??

      Suffice to say that achieving both of these is going to take a little extra on my part.  Have I been giving it?


        When it comes to the push-ups: No.  I was off on my push-ups last week.  The week before I was doing mega amounts of push-ups with all the burpees and bodyrock workouts plus the 3 weekly push-up workouts.  I was feeling awesome and really beginning to feel some good arm strength.  Then I missed a push-up workout, which ended up being a week of push-up workouts and I know I'm gonna be feeling it when I go to test my max today.


        As far as a sub 11:13 3k: Maybe.   11:13 works out to a 6:01 mile pace; I'd have to go 6 flat or under to achieve this.  My running has been going good and I 100% feel that all the burpees, push-ups, planks, mountain climbers, circuit training, stairs, inclines. . . have made me stronger and faster.  So although I haven't run many all out speed workouts, I'm feeling a lot of speed in me :)


    Little Related Tangent:
        Half way through typing this post (this morning) I decided to see where I was at in regards to 6 min pace.  I started out on the treadmill and quickly realized that trying for low 6 pace just wasn't going to happen on that baby.   If I really wanted to see what pace I could hold I was going to have to get my booty outside.


        It is windy  today and running a fast mile with a strong wind, not my idea of fun. . . but I did it, well close to it.  My block is .9 (.88 for pacing purposes) around, I stopped and started at my driveway.  Final time 5:24, which works out to around 6:10 pace.  At .2 miles in I flat out wanted to quit and blame the wind, but that would get me no closer to where I want to be.


        So. . . Sub 6 paced 3k in just over two weeks?  I'm right there, I'm gonna need to get in a few good speed workouts in the next 14 days, but it's definitely doable.  I have the speed in my legs for sure.


    A point I was considering while thinking about my goals
        Sometimes when we are at that point of setting goals that we're not  positive we can achieve, it can be easy to not put a full 110% effort in.  This way when we fall short we can blame it on a lack of effort and not on a lack of ability.   
          
    It can be scary to think "What if I put in all this effort, give it my all and I still can't do it?" ( I have let this thought hold me back too many times in my life. )  If we have lack of effort to fall back on we can still tell ourselves, "if I tried harder I could have done it."  

         Just remember (and this is as much for me as for anyone else reading): TRUE success is not always in reaching your goal, but in becoming better, faster, stronger, smarter. . . in the process of getting there.
           
         You have to set goals that are almost out of reach. If you set a goal that is attainable without much work or thought, you are stuck with something below your true talent and potential."
    Steve Garvey

    What goals have you set that seem scary at times ?
      
    Have you reached any goals that you once thought of as unattainable?

Post Title

Going Above and Beyond


Post URL

http://emohairstylesforgirls2011.blogspot.com/2011/02/going-above-and-beyond.html


Visit Emo Hair Styles For Girls for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive