Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nerves

                I'm pretty much thinking out loud here, along with over thinking things entirely.

       I had one of those dreams nightmares last night were you're in a race and no matter how hard you try you legs don't want to move.   I used to have these a lot while racing every weekend in HS/ College.  I hadn't had one in a while because I'd stopped racing and only started entering races again a few months ago.  I forgot how awful those nightmares are.  Have any of you had these kind of nightmares where you're racing, but your legs refuse to move?

          It is safe to say this race has been occupying a large part of my mind the past few days and I am straight up scared about it.   I am definitely questioning why I thought it was such a brilliant idea to put myself through 10 minutes of leg burning, lung bursting pain (the first minute is all adrenaline and fresh legs and optimism).  If I want any sort of decent time, I'm going to have to make it hurt like hell.  and it is freaking me out.


        Physically I think it is in me, I have the speed to run a sub 6 mile and the endurance to run 13+, so I should be able to put together 2- 6 minute miles (and actually 200m less than 2 miles), but if I can't mentally gut it out I have no shot.

        Bottom line: It is going to hurt. A lot.  Why did I think this was a good idea??
     and at the same time I am very excited about it and thinking it was a GREAT idea :)


        I'm, at least, feeling ready-ish. Most of the weekend weight is gone and no alcohol since Saturday night.  I ran three miles with some speed work mixed in yesterday.  Today I will do a little shake out run and some strides after.  And I know that despite training not being as planned out as HS, I am very much fitter than I was back then.

       Yesterday I took out my old "Once a Runner" book.  If you have not read it yet: Drop everything you're doing and go get it!!  :D  It is more of a track book I guess, the main character is a miler, but most runners can relate to the overall mindset.


      My favorite quote from the book:
    "... Or we can blaze! Become legends in our own time, strike fear in the heart of mediocre talent everywhere! We can scald dogs, put records out of reach! Make the stands gasp as we blow into an unearthly kick from three hundred yards out! We can become God's own messengers delivering the dreaded scrolls! We can race dark Satan himself till he wheezes fiery cinders down the back straightaway....They'll speak our names in hushed tones, 'those guys are animals' they'll say! We can lay it on the line, bust a gut, show them a clean pair of heels. We can sprint the turn on a spring breeze and feel the winter leave our feet! We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" 


         Race Outfit post to come tomorrow :)

        And I bought a Garmin 405.  It was totally impulsive and semi alcohol influenced.  I ordered it online, from my phone, while at the Isles game. (It was on sale!).  It should be here this week :D

Post Title

Nerves


Post URL

http://emohairstylesforgirls2011.blogspot.com/2011/02/nerves.html


Visit Emo Hair Styles For Girls for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive